1.3 billion people have no access to electricity.
1/4 of them live close to rivers.
Mobile hydro could change it.
We provide electricity as an out-of-the-box, plug-and-play solution
in various geographic settings with a convincing cost-performance ratio.
The ‘Rotor’ is made of worldwide available materials that can be substituted
by a variety of recycled materials.
Therefore maintenance is very customer friendly and affordable.
The mobile hydropower plant ‘Rotor‘ is a low-cost, robust,
easy-to-maintain energy solution with primary goal of energy supply for
off -grid areas.
Mobile hydro was founded in 2013 after the success at the empowering people Awards of the Siemens Foundation in Nairobi.
Behind the Awards stand the vision to replace diesel generators by environmentally friendly alternatives and the goal of a
Sustainable energy supply for off-grid or under-supplied areas.
Similar products are significantly more expensive, more complex or very specific to the location. The micro-hydropower plant
'Rotor' is a robust low-cost energy solution with the primary goal of supplying regions without grid connection.
Developement is ongoing, but the mauals and blue prints are already aviable as open source information.
Currently used off grid energy supplies
95% diesel, 2% windpower, 3% solar
Problems of current technologies
- high running costs
- don’t generate 24/7
- face unreliable fuel supply
- need high initial investment
- emit a lot of CO2
- need professional operation because they are difficult to maintain
At least 10% of people without power, but with access to rivers,
spent $ 20 for lamp oil every year.
Industrial Design - TUM
- power range 100 to 300 W
- Generator on water surface
- Battery buffer (car battery) and load controller
- Scaling through parallel operation
- Floating pico water turbine with vertical axis
- Usage of kinetic energy in streaming water
- Based on approved principle (Darrieus turbine)
- Use of cost-efficient standard components
- Use of recycling materials
- Local production
Power Consumption of Various Consumer
You can get 300 W per mobile hydro plant.
Pilot Project: Bangladesh
- Building up a network for rural energy supply
- Reach users without access to electricity until now
- Replace Diesel generators as the main off-grid energy source!
Test with the first Prototype
Loisach - Beuerberg
Partner and Supporter